The Word Guild currently sponsors various writing awards programs in support of writers from beginners to professionals.
Published Writing Awards:
The Word Awards: Recognizes the best works published in the previous year from 35 different categories of writing, including novels, non-fiction books, articles, columns, poems, song lyrics, scripts and screenplays among others.
Work submitted to The Word Awards are also eligible for the following awards:
1. The $5,000 Grace Irwin Prize: Canada’s largest literary prize for Canadian writers who are Christian. Recognizes the best book published in the previous year with a $5,000 prize.
2. The Harvey/Mackey Award: Celebrates the best of Canada’s up and coming Christian journalists, recognizing and encouraging excellence in journalism from a Christian worldview.
3. The Debra Fieguth Award. Recognizes outstanding work that address social justice issues. Eligible for any Canadian writer who is Christian (or his/her publisher) published in during the previous year.
Unpublished Writing Awards:
1. Best New Canadian Manuscript: Encourages Canadian authors to write nonfiction or fiction books expressing Christian faith/doctrine in a clear, original and inspiring way. To generate excitement for authors and bring attention to the work of The Word Guild.
Beginner and Student Awards:
1. Fresh Ink Student Writers Contest. For never-before-published writers student writers. First prize is free Saturday admission to Write Canada including a personal meet up with a professional of your choice plus a cash prize of $100.
2. In the Beginning For unpublished novice and emerging writers. First prize is free entry into Write Canada OR mentoring sessions with a published author.
Achievement & Industry Awards:
1. The Leslie K. Tarr Award. Celebrates a major career contribution to Christian writing and publishing in Canada.
2. The Partnership Award. Recognizes an individual or organization who show exceptional support and encouragement for Canadian writers and editors who are Christian.