This contest is designed to encourage student writers in high school or college/university.
- High School (ages 14 – 18) OR
- College/University (ages 17-30)
- Contest is open to members and non-members of The Word Guild.
- Novice Writer (Definition: for the purpose of this contest, the entrant will not have been previously published in novella or book length fiction/nonfiction and/or have had more than three paid published articles. This includes print or online formats.)
- The content of eligible entries must be consistent with a Christian worldview and the historic Christian tradition reflected in the Apostles’ Creed.
How Will It Benefit You?
- Judging sheets are based on a point system and awards will be given based on the quality of writing.
- Valuable detailed comments and marks on your submission from those in the writing industry (for all entrants).
- Cash award of $50 for the Winner.
- Recognition for Winner & Finalists at The Word Awards Celebration.
- Members: $10 CAD + HST (per title and/or category entered)
- Non Members: $20 CAD + HST (per title and/or category entered)
Submission Guidelines for this Award
- Short story (1,500 words or less)
- Non-fiction piece (1,500 words or less)
- Poetry (1,500 words or less)
- First three chapters of an unpublished novel–does not have to be finished (15 pages or less)
- Short Script – Screen or Stage (45 pages or less)
- There is no limit to the number of entries that may be submitted, however, a single manuscript may not be entered into multiple categories
- All judges will look for an underlying expression of the writer’s Christian worldview informing and influencing the writing. The entry should not contain undue profanity, graphic sex, or other objectionable material, and must otherwise conform to generally accepted standards of the CBA as determined by The Word Guild. Judges may request submissions not meeting this requirement be disqualified.
- Courier or Times New Roman 12-point font
- Number pages
- Margins of at least 1″ (2.5 cm) at left, right, top and bottom
- In the header, include title, category, and word count
- Do not include any pictures or graphics
- Do not justify the right margin
Extra formatting info for Short Scripts:
- first page should have the title, author, and the character names (this page is NOT included in the 15 page count).
- Stage instructions should be minimal, EG, “KWENE COLLAPSES. CROWD SURGES FORWARD.”
Extra formatting info for Screen Plays:
- FinalDraft(.com) is the industry standard software for automatic formatting screenplays, and it includes several (British & American) acceptable stage play manuscript formats in the same software. There are various competing softwares that are good. There are many websites which review what the manuscript should look like for meeting industry standards.
- UNIVERSAL SCREENPLAY MANUSCRIPT: 12pt courier type, 1” margins.
Extra formatting info for Stage Plays:
- Courier or Times Roman fonts in 12 pt
- double space separates each element
- no extra formatting (weird fonts, different font sizes, masses of stage directions) as this clutters the piece.
- examples of good formatting: http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/scripts/stageus.pdf (American) OR http://downloads.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/scripts/stage.pdf (British)
- Title, character and setting page (approximately first 3 pages) do NOT count in your 15 page count.
- Submit your entry here.