Write! Vancouver, a power-packed one-day writers' conference, challenges emerging and experienced writers of all ages to reach for excellence.
Saturday Speakers and Panelists include:
- Denise Rumble, managing director of The Word Guild, will give the keynote speech and be part of the journaling panel.
- Ken Shigematsu, pastor, 10th Avenue Alliance Church, is part of the "Permission to Write" panel. Ken is also about to publish his first book.
- Ron Reed, playwright and director of Pacific Theatre. Ron will teach "Words Becoming Flesh" and is part of the Permission to Write panel.
- Marnie Wooding, a Zondervan author, story teller, and writer coach for visual media and publishing, will conduct a workshop titled, "Making a Scene," exploring the purpose and structure of a great scene.
- New York Times bestselling author Kathy Tyers also returns to teach a session titled, "Point of View" and to be available for individual critique sessions.
- kc dyer, freelance writer, speaker, and educator, and author of nine young adult books, including the Eagle Glen Trilogy, will participate in the "Permission to Write" panel and the Blue Pencil – individual critique sessions.
- Beverley Boissery – author, editor, teacher, publisher, and scholar will teach the building of a story through the process of deconstructing a nursery rhyme.
- Diane Tucker (BFA in Creative Writing from UBC), will present an extended workshop on poetry, "Unlocking the Poet Within."
- Marilyn Norry, with 30 years' experience in Canadian film and theatre, explores the essentials of memoir writing in her interactive "Writing Mom's Story" workshop (www.mymothersstory.org).
- Tanya Hawke, a copywriter with 25 years' experience in corporate communications presents a repeat of her last year's workshop, "Writer for Hire: The World of Business Communication."
- Novelist Melanie Anastasiou, from St. Alban's, England, returns to co-teach "The Hour Story" and to take part in the panel on journaling.
- Kelita (Haverland), singer, songwriter and five-time Juno nominee will conduct this year's workshop on songwriting, "So You Think You Can Write a Song."
- Jennifer Landels, freelance writer and editor, and Susan Pieters, writer of fiction and creative nonfiction, will join Mel Anastasiou to teach "The Hour Story," a session teaching how to build a story circle, aimed at affirming, supporting and helping one to become a better writer.
- Patti Howard, with more than 30 years of journaling experience, joins the faculty to participate on the journaling panel.
Online registration is now open at www.thewordguild.com/write-
Write! Vancouver will be held on May 25 at Tapestry UBC, located at 3338 Wesbrook Mall on the UBC Campus. Registration begins at 8:15 a.m.
Media: For photos or more information, email the director at writevancouver[at]